Saturday, August 30, 2014

Who Overseas Workplace Injury Reports?

That would be the Minnesota Department of Labor and Industry, your go-to place for labor and employment law enforcement.  The department aims to ensure healthy and safe workplaces for Minnesota workers. It also oversees the state workers’ compensation program, through the Workers’ Compensation Division.

…and what can it do for you?

If you’re at the very beginning of the workers’ compensation claim process, you can get an overview of how the process works in Minnesota (  The DOLI website has a form repository, including a claim petition to be used in cases involving a deceased employee:  Note:  we recommend that you talk to your lawyer before filling in this petition, not after. I recommend contacting immediately.

If your claim for benefits is disputed but you want an alternative to trial, the DOLI can provide mediation services.  These services are both free and voluntary, so they can be a good option if you think there’s a chance of reaching an agreement with your employer. Again I recommend you have a trusted, knowledgeable attorney like Jim Vander Linden on your side 612-339-6841.

Following a claim for benefits, you may want information on vocational rehabilitation services to allow you to return to work:  These services are offered at all locations of the department, which are St. Paul, Duluth, Bemidji, Fergus Falls, Hibbing, Mankato, St. Cloud, and Rochester.

Due to its enforcement responsibilities, the department is the place to go if you have trouble with late payment checks for your workers’ compensation benefits.  Save documentation showing the late payments and send a request for review to the department at:
Minnesota Department of Labor and Industry
Workers’ Compensation Division
Compliance, Records and Training
443 Lafayette Road N.
St. Paul, MN  55155

If penalties are assessed by the department for late payments, those penalties are payable to you.
Finally, like any good website, the DOLI’s site provides a helpful FAQ:  The topics address what benefits you might be entitled to (wage-loss benefits, compensation for loss of use of a part of the body, medical benefits, vocational rehabilitation and retraining), whether you can be treated for a work-related injury by your own physician (yes, generally, with some exceptions), and whether you have to attend an independent medical examination (yes!).

Again, this entire process can be overwhelming and we want you to  be able to focus on getting better. In order receive the help you deserve please contact to make sure you are collecting on all benefits that are due to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment